YA Dark Fantasy writer looking for Critique Partner
Hi I’m Kate and I’m a 28-year-old YA dark fantasy writer. I live in Virginia where I work full time as an account executive at a marketing agency.
I wrote a dark retelling of Red Riding Hood with a Norse Mythology twist during the pandemic. It’s with my beta readers right now. I did write one other book during NaNoWriMo two years ago that turned out to be an absolute dumpster fire.
I write to escape and to create worlds. It’s therapeutic for me and I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t write at all. I started in high school when I wrote a fanfic of the NBC show Heroes. After that, I was hooked. I can’t write fanfic anymore and I tried, but I always feel the need to create something new.
When I’m not writing, my nose is stuck in a book or I’m cuddling with my miniature long-haired dachshunds. Anything else you want to know about me, just ask 🙂
I love fantasies (I’m talking Sarah J. Maas, Cassie Clare, Holly Black, Adrienne Young, Leigh Bardugo) and romance. I’m very much into action and an intriguing mystery that unravels as the story goes on. I love retellings and gothic works.
No sexual violence but if it’s attempted and something happens to the assaulter, then I’ll allow it.
Please excuse the roughness of this About the WIP:
17-year-old Hayle lives by three rules: kill, survive, and serve. This code has been engrained in her after her adoptive mother Nilea found Hayle abandoned as a baby on the surface of the frozen fjord of the cursed realm of Avalla. Since then, Nilea taught Hayle the ways of the Winter Children’s Guild—serve the clients and the mistress, take what was taken from them.
But everything changes when Hayle is hired by local warlord Verran to assassinate the cursed Queen Thissenra. Hayle finds a mirror in the queen’s chambers that not only magnifies her horrible qualities (“murderer,” “coward”), it causes her to blackout and when she wakes, she discovers she killed and inexplicably froze the guards. She’s captured and thrown in the dungeon. After being tortured, the crowned Prince Merrick comes to visit her. Then he recognizes her as his sister, the long-lost Princess Avi.
She’s welcomed into the royal family, but Hayle remains conflicted to either carry out her duty as a Winter Child or to embrace her new life. But when a guild member tries to kill her, Hayle does what she can to survive and find a way to break the spell forever.
Here are some best practices for reaching out to a potential CP:
- Include the link to your own CP Match profile! You can find it on your Dashboard. Don't have one yet? What are you waiting for? Anyone with a WriteOnCon.org account can make one!
- Introduce yourself a little, and say what appealed to you about their listing.
- Respect what's listed here in their profile. They took the time to fill it out, and they've included this information for a reason. Don't send a message about a book they specifically say is a Hard No, for example.
- Offer to swap a small sample of your works, so you can see if you're really compatible. First chapters are a good starting place.
- If one party no longer wants to continue the interaction, it's nobody's fault. Sometimes finding the right CP takes time.
Happy writing and CPing!