My name is Akoss.
I write middle grade fiction (and the occasional young adult fiction).
My worlds and characters are Black (African) centered and I love doing genre mashups. It only recently dawned on me that most of my favorite books were genre mashups so I decided to embrace it. 🙂
Any spare time I can scrape off my mom/wife life routine is spent reading or playing catchup with Netflix and Kdramas (when I’m not writing).
I’m a sucker for portal fantasies and time travel paradoxes.
However I’ve fallen in love with middle grade books that are full of heart and very funny, middle grade books that make my younger self giggle uncontrollably.
Some of my favorite authors are Neil Gaiman, Victoria Schwab, Diana Wynne Jones, Thanhha Lai, Rita Williams-Garcia, Rebecca Stead, etc…
Adult novels. I read them but not enough to be able to provide proper feedback to another writer.
12 yo Frankie’s pen pal exchange with Dodji creates a portal between two worlds. If the portal isn’t closed soon both worlds will collide and collapse. The pen-friends must work together to close it unless betrayal divides them.
Here are some best practices for reaching out to a potential CP:
- Include the link to your own CP Match profile! You can find it on your Dashboard. Don't have one yet? What are you waiting for? Anyone with a WriteOnCon.org account can make one!
- Introduce yourself a little, and say what appealed to you about their listing.
- Respect what's listed here in their profile. They took the time to fill it out, and they've included this information for a reason. Don't send a message about a book they specifically say is a Hard No, for example.
- Offer to swap a small sample of your works, so you can see if you're really compatible. First chapters are a good starting place.
- If one party no longer wants to continue the interaction, it's nobody's fault. Sometimes finding the right CP takes time.
Happy writing and CPing!