I am a professor, writer, and editor. I write romance and young adult. I like to write about science fiction, fantasy, history, and suspense.
I am looking for a critique partner for my picture books. I have a few books that I’ve worked on over the years, and I feel it is time to get serious and get an agent.
I love a lot of different things in books. I guess I mainly look for a good voice, engaging action from the beginning, and description that makes me feel like I’m there with the characters.
I am not interested in reading things that are racially insensitive, prejudicial, racist or anything that would be considered homophobic.
Shyanne is a historian. She goes on adventures to the past to see firsthand the contributions Black inventors have made to our world. She has her friend, Mylus, the alien, and Time Machine. Together, they learn more about very important, but sometimes forgotten, scientists.
My Alien and My Time Machine Presents: We Were Inventors
“Hi, I’m Shyanne. I’m a historian. Today, we’re traveling back in time to meet Black inventors who have influenced how the world works. My trusty time machine has an adventure you won’t believe. Hold on tight to your seats as we travel back to meet the inventor of the…”
“Wait a minute. Wait just one minute. You want me to do what?” asked Mylus the alien.
“Travel back in time with me,” said Shyanne.
“I just got to this planet,” said the alien.
“Well, how do you think you’re going to learn about our history, silly? Don’t be scared. It’ll be fun. Take my hand. Let’s go meet the inventor of the ice cream scoop.”
“Oh, that does sound fun. Who invented the ice cream scoop?”
“Alfred L. Cralle. He was a businessman and inventor. He invented the ice cream scoop in 1896. We’re headed to 1897 to see him use it. Time Machine, take us away!”
“Anything for you Shyanne,” the time machine said. “1897, here we come!”
“We have arrived at your destination, Historian Shyanne.”
“Thank you, Time Machine. Why don’t you take a load off while we explore,” said Shyanne, patting Time Machine.
“Where are we?” asked Mylus.
“We’re at the same hotel where Alfred L. Cralle got the idea for the ice cream scoop. See, look at how the ice cream servers struggle to get the ice cream into the cone.” Shyanne and Mylus stood in the lobby of the hotel
“Oh no, it’s sticking to the spoon,” said Mylus.
“The servers have to use two hands and the line is backing up,” added Shyanne. “Here is the drawing of his ice cream scoop that he submitted with his patent application.”
“Shyanne, what is a patent?” asked the alien.
I want to write picture books, middle grade, young adult, and adult. I really enjoy writing for all ages.
Here are some best practices for reaching out to a potential CP:
- Include the link to your own CP Match profile! You can find it on your Dashboard. Don't have one yet? What are you waiting for? Anyone with a WriteOnCon.org account can make one!
- Introduce yourself a little, and say what appealed to you about their listing.
- Respect what's listed here in their profile. They took the time to fill it out, and they've included this information for a reason. Don't send a message about a book they specifically say is a Hard No, for example.
- Offer to swap a small sample of your works, so you can see if you're really compatible. First chapters are a good starting place.
- If one party no longer wants to continue the interaction, it's nobody's fault. Sometimes finding the right CP takes time.
Happy writing and CPing!